How does Grid Hosting differ from Shared Hosting? Compared with Shared Hosting, Grid Hosting offers increased availability and scalability. Shared Hosting can handle a limited amount of traffic, beyond which the site becomes unreachable. Grid Hosting responds to traffic spikes by adding additional resources to your site, keeping your site live regardless of traffic.
Due to differences in Grid Hosting, it cannot offer support for some of the technologies that Shared Hosting can:
- Access databases are not supported due to Access’ locking scheme which prevents concurrent usage from different processes.
- Front Page Server Extensions are not currently supported.
- Java and ColdFusion are not currently supported.
- Concurrent file writes to the same file in multiple sessions or concurrent threads. Example of affected resources: File-based databases and cross session log files (these issues are exaggerated in a Grid Hosting environment due to additional volume).
- Storing data within the Application namespace and depending on multiple concurrent sessions accessing accurate data for the entire application.
- Static Classes where sessions across the site (application) must have concurrent access to accurate data.
Upgrading to Grid-Based Hosting from Shared Hosting
If you currently use a Shared hosting account, you can migrate it to a Grid-based hosting account, which offers improved performance. For more information, see Web Hosting Powered by the Grid Frequently Asked Questions.
NOTE: When migrating to a Grid-based hosting account, you cannot switch your hosting account’s operating system. However, after the account migrates, you can switch it.
To Upgrade to Grid-Based Hosting
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- From the Products section, click Web Hosting.
- Click the domain name you want to use.
- Go to the Edit Account Details tab.
- From the Plan menu, select the new plan you want to use. Grid-based hosting accounts are labeled “[Plan type] [Operating system] Web” — for example,Deluxe Linux Web.
- Click Save Changes.
- Complete any necessary purchases.
Visit our domain hosting page here.